May 1st: Labor Day in Tuscany in Siena
What to do on May 1st in Siena
There is no doubt: spending May 1st in Siena is certainly a good choice because for Labor Day this Tuscan city has reached its peak of “spring maturity” and is absolutely ready to satisfy any visitor’s desire.
In the past years, among other things, in the days around this date the city has come alive with many initiatives that have had the aim of celebrating the sunny season in progress, as well as making known the artistic beauties of the city.
To give some examples of initiatives carried out in May of the past few years, there have been guided visits to the Palazzo Chigi Saracini, falconry shows at the Orto dei Pecci, the urban trekking routes #sienafrancigena, the musical evenings of the classical music festival Musicasiena and the artistic exhibitions at the Magazzini del Sale.
Another nice idea to completely immerse yourself in the folklore of this city could be to participate in the festival of the Valdimontone contrada. Dedicated to the Madonna del Buon Consiglio, this festival includes various religious, social and gastronomic events. For example, on the last Sunday of April or on 1st of May, the Pranzone, Tombolone and Apericena are scheduled.
For those who want to spend beautiful moments of relaxation in the open air the city of Siena also offers many green areas such as the following:
- Medici Fortress. Ideal for walks, jogs and to admire the magnificent panorama of Siena.
- Giardini della Lizza. This green space is located in front of the Fortress and is often the location for exhibitions and events.
- Orto dei Pecci. Located just 500 meters from Piazza del Campo.
- Orti dei Tolomei. A pleasant green oasis within the city walls.
- Botanical Garden. Permanent display of various types of flowers, plants and shrubs.
- Unity of Italy Park. Born in 2010, this lovely city park also includes tables and chairs for lunches and picnics.
- Piazza Amendola. Ideal for families with children because it includes games and attractions.
- Fonte delle Monache di San Paolo. Naturalistic site which gives access to a characteristic washhouse used centuries ago.
Finally, those who want to spend day dedicated to culture in Siena will have no problem satisfying their thirst for knowledge with visits to the main city museums and historical sites in the city such as Piazza del Campo, the Duomo and the Santa Maria della Scala Complex.
Events and destinations for May 1st in the province of Siena
Those who intend to spend Labor Day in Siena can also consider participating in events and initiatives scheduled in some places in the province.
First of all, on the morning of May 1st it is possible to reach the railway station of the city to board the Train of the Maggiolata, a stage of the Nature Train which for labor day connects the Tuscan city with Sant’Angelo Scalo where the Maggiolata festival takes place. On its way, the train crosses the characteristic landscapes of the Crete Senesi, the Val d’Orcia and passes through the green hills of the Brunello di Montalcino . In order to join this initiative it is necessary to book online on the Terre di Siena website.
Other events scheduled for May 1st in the province of Siena are the Spring Festival in Pienza, at the Giardino dei Lecci in Pienza, with typical Tuscan dishes for lunch and dinner, or Ponte in Festa in Ponte d’Arbia, in the municipality of Monteroni d’Arbia, with excellent local gastronomy and above all very tasty pici.
Anyone wishing to spend some nice moments of relaxation and well-being can reach one of the following spas:
- Bagno Vignoni. Beautiful resort including Hotel with Spa, free access to thermal area and unusual pool of water in the center of the village.
- Bagni San Filippo. It offers an open access spa area called White Whale.
- Terme di Petriolo. It includes both a Spa and a large area with free access
- Rapolano Terme. The spa activities are concentrated in the two structures of the Terme Antica Querciolaia and Terme San Giovanni.
- San Casciano dei Bagni. It offers natural pools with water at a temperature of around 40°.
- Chianciano Terme . There are wellness areas such as the Sensory Spa and Theia Thermal Pools.
- Montepulciano. It features the Terme di Montepulciano spa.
For wine lovers, the beautiful destinations to reach in this splendid spring date are the Chianti, especially the towns of Radda in Chianti, Gaiole in Chianti and Castellina in Chianti, the area of Montepulciano where the Vino Nobile is produced, San Gimignano where the Vernaccia and the Val d’Orcia are produced, to taste the Brunello and other excellent wines.
Live a sunny Labor Day in Tuscany in Siena!
Take advantage of Labor Day to discover Siena and all its beauties!
Immerse yourself in the greenery by booking a cozy accommodation at the Agriturismo Villa Agostoli! Located a short distance from the city center, this accommodation oasis in Siena offers elegant apartments with every comfort! The property also includes a farm where Chianti wine and organic vegetables are produced.
If you want to spend some good moments in the open air also consider staying at the Hotel Garden; this 4 star hotel in Siena, in fact, offers a century-old park and panoramic terrace with cocktail bar to spend wonderful moments of relaxation under the Tuscan sun. The property also features a typical Tuscan restaurant and ample parking for cars and motorbikes.
Do you want to reach the historic center of Siena on foot and in a few minutes? Then the accommodation for you is the Hotel Italia, a 3-star hotel located a few hundred meters from Porta Camollia, an authentic gateway to the historic city center. Make a reservation and you will also have breakfast included in the price.
Finally, to spend a May 1st in Tuscany in the name of harmony, fantasy and love, choose the charming suites of the Relais degli Angeli. For its hospitality and for the gracefulness of its spaces, this structure has also won an episode of the Real Time program “Cortesie per gli ospiti B&B”!